Sell on Amazon Sign In
This article applies to selling in: Germany

Japan Tax and Regulatory Considerations

Regulations and product labeling obligations

Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law (PSE Mark)

When importing electrical appliances in Japan, the product must comply with the standard under the Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law. This law prevents the sale of hazardous products and any electrical appliance that are considered a safety hazard. The importer has the obligation to conform to this law and attach the PSE Mark, which acts as proof of conformity, onto the confirmed products.

Visit Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law for more information.

Technical Regulations Conformity Certification for Radio Equipment (Technical Conformity Mark)

To sell products that emit radio frequencies, the product must conform to the technical regulations specified in the Radio Law, and the product must have a Technical Conformity Mark, which acts as proof that the product is in accordance with the law.

Visit the Radio Use website for more information.

Consumer Products Safety Act

Below are some examples of products that may be subject to the Consumer Product Safety Act and require a PSC mark:

  • Pressure cookers and autoclaves for home use
  • Helmets (automotive, cycle, and so on)
  • Baby beds
  • Climbing ropes
  • Portable laser-applied equipment
  • Hot water circulators for bathtubs
  • Oil water heaters
  • Oil bath boilers
  • Oil heaters
  • Indoor instantaneous gas water heaters (for city gas and LP gas)
  • Bath boilers with indoor gas burners (for city gas and LP gas)
  • Forced-flue type oil warm air furnaces
  • Built-in electric dishwashers
  • Electric dryers for bathrooms
  • Electric fans
  • Electric air conditioners
  • Ventilators
  • Washing machines
  • CRT-based televisions

Download Outline of the Consumer Products Safety Act (PDF) for more information.

The Household Goods Quality Labeling Law

The Household Goods Quality Labeling Law provides labeling obligations in order to enable consumers to make informed buying decisions when purchasing household goods. The law establishes what must be displayed on product labels in order to provide appropriate information for the product. The law applies to textile goods, plastic manufactured goods (such as water purifiers, baby feeding bottles), electrical appliances, and miscellaneous manufactured goods sold in Japan.

Other resources

Food Sanitation Act and food labeling

When you sell food products and products intended for infants and small children (such as feeding bottles, eating utensils, plates, and toys), you must comply with the Food Sanitation Act, which ensures food safety for the public.

Visit the Food Sanitation Act for more information.

Also, any food products sold in Japan must have proper labeling to inform the consumer on information such as, but not limited to, ingredients, origin of ingredients, nutritional information, transfatty acid, and transfat labeling.

Visit Consumer Affairs Agency, Government of Japan for more information.

Pharmaceutical Affairs Act

When you advertise and sell pharmaceutical products and medical devices sold in Japan, you must comply with the Pharmaceutical Affairs Act. Visit 薬事法 (Japanese) or consult with a professional before selling these products.

Intellectual property rights

Please ensure that you do not infringe intellectual property rights of other parties when you sell your products in Japan. You are prohibited from selling counterfeit or illegal parallel imports. You may also want to consider protecting your own intellectual property rights in Japan.

Visit the Japan Patent Office for more information.

Additional information for EU sellers

Under European Union VAT rules, Amazon calculates and collects EU VAT on Selling on Amazon fees related to sales made by sellers on who do not have an EU VAT registration number and are a resident of an EU member state. Amazon charges the standard rate of VAT applicable to your EU member state of residence and will provide you an invoice where it is required by local law. For more information, see this European Commission web page. 

If you are a resident of an EU member state and have an EU VAT registration number, provide your EU VAT registration number to avoid having EU VAT applied to your Selling on Amazon fees. From Seller Central click Settings, then Account Info, then click "Edit" in the European VAT Information section.

For more information about VAT in the EU, see the Europe Tax and Regulatory Considerations help page.

Sign in to use the tool and get personalized help (desktop browser required). Sign In

Reach hundreds of millions of customers

Start selling on Amazon

© 1999-2020,, Inc. or its affiliates